Other names for ecstasy
MDMA, tabs, E, X, XTC, molly.
What is ecstasy?
What ecstasy is:
- Ecstasy is one of the drugs that pep you up.
- It is manufactured in laboratories.
- You take it in the form of a tablet or capsule, or as a powder dissolved in a drink.
Effects of ecstasy
- Ecstasy has a dual effect.
- The stimulating effect makes you energetic, clear-headed and alert.
- The consciousness-altering effect makes you feel relaxed and carefree.
- If you take ecstasy frequently or in large doses, only the speedy effect remains; you may get agitated and aggressive.
- Ecstasy makes your heart beat faster and it raises your blood pressure and body temperature.
- Some people get a stiff feeling in their jaws and a dry mouth and throat.
- It takes about one-half to one hour to feel the effects of a tab of ecstasy. They wear off in 4 to 6 hours.
Risks of ecstasy
What are the risks of ecstasy?
- Your body can get overheated, especially if you dance a long time in a hot and moist environment.
- You can avoid getting overheated by drinking enough water (one glass an hour and not more than two glasses an hour).
- Drinking too much can lead to water intoxication.
- MDMA may damage certain nerve cells and lead to memory problems.
- MDMA/ecstasy is manufactured illegally. You’re never quite sure what the producers have put in your pills. You can get your ecstasy tablets and other drugs tested in the Netherlands. Go to drugs-test.nl and click on “Waar kan ik drugs laten testen” to find the drug-testing centres.
- After MDMA wears off, you may feel worn out and exhausted. Driving and cycling could be dangerous. It is illegal to drive (including your bike) when you are under the influence of drugs.
- A MDMA hangover can last several days.
The following test will help you discover whether you are taking too many risks when using MDMA. Once you’ve answered the questions, you’ll receive the test results, with information about your score. Depending on your score, we’ll make certain recommendations.
Versie: april 2021