Stop or cut down on gambling
There are several ways you can stop gambling.
There is nothing holding you back to stop gambling. If you want some help, you can do our online self-help course for gambling (Dutch).
Treatment at Jellinek is no more strenuous than necessary. We keep it as low-level as possible, but we offer intensive treatment if you need it. We have no waiting lists, or only short ones for certain specialised treatments. To an extent you can determine the course and setting of the treatment yourself.
To get your addiction under control, cognitive-behavioural therapy is often a good approach. We can provide it in individual or group sessions or in combination. If necessary, these can also be combined with medical treatment. If you want to stop completely and would like to do so with the support of other people who are achieving the same thing, then the 12-step Minnesota treatment model may be right for you. It emphasises empathy and solidarity with others.
|Cognitive-behavioural therapy||Minnesota model|
Jellinek gives you hope of a different life, a life without addictive substances or gambling. Take your first step today and contact Jellinek. We have treatment centers in Amsterdam, Utrecht, Amersfoort, Almere, Gorinchem, Hilversum and Veenendaal.
Symptoms of problem gambling
- You notice you’re gambling more and more, often for increasing sums of money.
- You might not even enjoy gambling any more, but you feel you’ve got to keep doing it.
- You feel you’ve got no alternative.
- You get into more and more problems through gambling.
- You tell lies and make up excuses.
- You keep borrowing money and building up debts. And you develop problems with the people around you.
You start feeling depressed because of the problems. That compels you to go gambling again, because it helps you briefly forget the problems. But the problems just keep growing. Are you in that kind of downward spiral now? Or are you afraid that might happen if you don’t change your habits?
Advantages of stopping or cutting down on gambling
- Fewer financial problems, more money for other things.
- A more active life, less procrastination.
- Better performance at work, school or home.
- Better relationships and contacts with family and friends.
- More activities in things like sports and social contacts.
- Fewer feelings of restlessness and gloom.
Versie: april 2021