Other names for gambling
Slot machines, betting terminals, FOBTs, fruit machines, one-armed bandits, roulette, blackjack, poker.
What is gambling?
- In gambling, profit and loss depend on chance.
- You gamble for money.
- If you play gaming machines, you find out immediately whether you’ve won or lost.
- If you play the lottery, you don’t find out till much later.
- The riskiest games are those where you see straightaway whether you’ve won or lost.
- Slot machines are therefore riskier than lotteries.
- Slot machines are programmed in certain ways.
- Under Dutch law, you’re allowed to lose an average of €40 per hour.
- If you play the machines for just one hour a week, that will cost you 52 times €40 = €2080 a year.
- Dutch law also requires each spin of a slot machine to last a minimum of 4 seconds.
Effects of gambling
- It gives you a thrilling sensation.
- You feel exhilarated.
- You forget everything around you.
- You feel in symbiosis with the machine.
Risks of gambling
What are the risks of gambling?
- Very short games are gripping and addictive.
- The risk is that you’ll keep playing longer and more frequently.
- When you lose money, you want to win it back.
- If you win, you gamble away your profits.
- You need more and more money to play, and that gets you into financial problems.
- You tell lies and make up excuses to obtain more money.
- You get into problems with friends, schoolmates or co-workers.
- You’ve become addicted. You think about gambling all day. You get restless if you try to stop or slow down.